Friday 12 January 2007

Work In Progress

This is a long-term project I am working on, a quilt from Simple Traditions by Kim Diehl. It consists of patchwork squares with a wide appliqued border. The border of mine is blue, as in the original, but my colours are a lot softer and chalkier. I think it has an almost "milk paint" look. I have done all the piecing and have nearly finished the applique on 3 sides of the border. I decided to hand applique the design as it is too big and bulky to easily control under the machine.

Everyone has their preferred method of hand applique, and I use a freezer paper method. It's time consuming, but it works for me, and the results are worth it. It's calming work to do, and looks lovely when it's done.
Well, it's my daughter's birthday tomorrow, and I've got some baking to do!