Wednesday 2 May 2007

Garden Stuff

I thought some info about how I look after my auriculas might be useful. I don't really know a lot about them, but for anyone who is interested, I can tell you what works for me. If you're not a gardener, skip this post!

I only have the outdoor ones, and I have mine in clay pots or containers which I keep outside.
The key thing with them seems to be drainage. I pot mine in ordinary compost, mixed with a good handful of grit per pot. Then there is the position. They like a sheltered position and mine are in dappled shade from trees.
They don't need very much watering, and withstand hot dry spells very well. Some tend to do better than others, but some of mine have been perfectly happy in the same pots for 2 or 3 years.
To propagate them by division, I just cut vertically through the main root. I would do this after they have finished flowering. As long as each piece has some decent root on, it will probably survive. Pot them up in the same gritty mixture as before, water them, and there you go, you've got several new plants which should flower the following year!
Well, now I'm off to do some weeding.