Monday 4 June 2007

Pincushions and YSP

I finished this, and I think it might be my new favourite pincushion. The ground walnut shells didn't happen though. There was I, laughingly thinking I'd easily be able to get ground walnut shells. So I went to the local pet supply shop and they didn't have any, then I tried a garden centre that sells pet supplies, but no luck there either. So I gave up and used sand in a cotton liner, and it makes a nice weighty pincushion.
I thought you might be interested in seeing my other sand pincushion. This one is in use all the time and lives on my cutting table. One day I'll post pictures of my sewing room and you'll see how disorganised it is.
This one was from a Blackbird Designs book. Bleeding heart flowers are a favourite of mine because my grandmother always had them in her garden.
I think making pincushions may be habit-forming.
Thank you for all the nice comments about the strawberries in my last post. I should make it clear they were all made from patterns and not my own designs - I'm a pattern junkie and I love my patterns:)
On a different subject, I wanted to show you some pictures from the Yorkshire Sculpture Park at Bretton. My husband was at home from work last week and I've currently got one daughter at home all day, so we took advantage of some fine weather and off we went. There are lots of beautiful views there, and I could have taken photos all day long! Here are a few of them:


Rusted iron gates.

Can you see the figure on the tree stump? This piece by Antony Gormley is called One and Other.




My daughter took this one of me when I wasn't looking.