Friday 27 June 2008

Old and Familiar

Nothing much new to show you today, so I thought you might like to see a few older quilts from years past. My fabric stash was much more limited when I made most of these, and I wouldn't necessarily do them all the same way now, LOL! They aren't in chronological order, but they were all made between 5 and 9 years ago.

I made this one for my older daughter's room. She doesn't use it now, but I like the colours and I still think it makes a nice quilt for a girl's room. The pattern is Rosy Posy from Barbara Brandeburg's book Fancy Things. I liked the pattern because of the buttons on the flowers.

It was the first and only time I've done curved seams, which weren't too bad. The applique is fused and machine blanket stitched. I used a polyester wadding (batting) which makes the quilt quite puffy - it was after doing this quilt that I realised I liked very thin flat quilts, and I stayed away from polyester wadding from then on!
This was for my younger daughter. She had requested a log cabin for her quilt. It was fun putting the fabrics together for this - I didn't use a pattern. I did some very minimal wavy line quilting, and also a large grid on the seam lines where the blocks join. I would quilt it much more closely now.
This one is more recent, though still 5 years old. The pattern is Amy's Four Patch by Jo Morton. I use it as a throw, my favourite use for quilts. The original was square, but I made mine rectangular.

This is called Pennsylvania Dutch, another Barbara Brandeburg design. I liked the way the centre appears to "float" against the outer border. You can see how some of the blues have faded where it's been folded. How naughty am I for allowing that to happen?

Again, all the applique is fused and machine stitched.

To finish off with, a Thimbleberries classic. If you've been quilting for a few years you probably recognise this pattern. This was one of my first attempts at meander quilting.


That's it for now and thanks for wading through this very long post! Have a great weekend :)