Saturday 29 November 2008

Knitted Holly

I love mixing different textures in the same project. This is a Christmas card I made this week. The heart is wool fabric. I did all the sewing on the heart first, then glued it to the card.
My holly was from a pattern in Knitting Over the Edge by Nicky Epstein. This book and her earlier one, Knitting On the Edge, are both really good resources for patterns which could be used in unlimited ways, not only for edgings.
I used 4 ply and very fine needles for the knitting.

I find that hand quilting needles are good for sewing on seed beads. They're fine enough to go through easily, and don't bend as soon as you look at them like beading needles are inclined to do.

I seem to have done well for fun mail lately - last week I won a lovely parcel of goodies from Gemma of Dancin' Puffin. She had a surprise giveaway on her blog, and without even knowing it I left the 100th comment and won!


She sent all these goodies - I love the colour of the Debbie Bliss Cathay, and the sew-cute keyring is now holding my keys. Thank you, Gemma :) If you haven't seen Gemma's blog, do go and read about her new puppy, knitting and beautiful chickens.